Hey! Sorry it's been a while since I've blogged, it's been a crazy week, with a lot of up and downs. I'm going to try to say it all but still be brief. We'll see how it goes.
This week started real rough. On Monday I was personally told by a campus manager "there are no religious manifestations on campus" while we were doing spiritual surveys. On Tuesday we went to Stockholm University to try to see if people would be receptive to starting Agape (what Campus Crusade is called in Europe) there. Let's just say based on Tuesday, the response would be "not interested." Then on Wednesday we had a social in the park and invited all our Swedish friends, but the attendance was less than spectacular and no one I invited showed up. By this point I was getting pretty discouraged and a little worn out of everything, but starting from there things started getting much better...
On Thursday we went back to Stockholm to continue to look for people that might be interested in being a part of Agape, hopefully some Christians. The moment we arrived on campus a girl walked up to us and ask if we were Americans. We started talked, and realized she was a super committed Christian with a big heart for the campus. We met her and her boyfriend, and she put us in contact with a lot of her other Christian friends. It was a total God thing and a huge blessing, we ended up spending a few hours talking with them. Connecting with them will be a huge blessing as Agape tries to expand into Stockholm University, so please be praying for that partnership and for that campus as well.
Friday was crazy. Literally. The story in a nutshell: Swedes are a lot more willing to talk when they have a little beer in them. How did I discover this? Let me tell you. I texted a few guys from the wrestling club asking them if they wanted to get dinner Friday night. They all politely declined, saying they were having a year end party at the wrestling club, but asked me to come by. I figured it could be cool, so my teammate Matt and I headed on over. WOW. Basically they were just all spread out on the wrestling mats drinking beer, eating, and enjoying each others company. We sat down with some of them, and before long we were having fantastic spiritual discussions. Three of my friends from the team, all of whom I had been praying for, were there, and we discussed everything from the history of the Church to what I and they believed personally about God. Most of them were atheists, but few had really considered the greater implications of what it would mean for there to be a God, and the possibility that there is. It was really encouraging conversation. I am praying that it really caused all of them there to think and reflect on what they believe. I am also praying in the future we are able to move from discussing "religion" to talking about peoples' hearts. Cause let's face it, no amount of apologetics has ever led anyone to Christ. Rather, when you can get to talking about peoples' stories, their fears, their pains, their sorrows, that is when the Gospel is effective.
Later that night Matt and I went and hung out with another Swedish friends of ours, Emil. We had a great time talking to him, and brought up some interesting things about religion. We moved in and out of serious conversation, but it was still a good time. Emil seems to really enjoy hanging out with us, which is great, so I hope to see him around more in the future. Be praying for him as well.
My mother, in all her infinite wisdom, has suggested that, in addition to fewer gramatical errors, my blog should also include some fun stories about time I spend with my team. Not sure if I ever mentioned this, but there are about 30 colleges students on our team, most from Tennessee and Duke, but a few from other schools too. We've really been bonding and having a great time- tonight a bunch of us went out to a student pub to watch the Champions League Finals match. We ordered food, laughed, and relaxed after what has been a long, draining, yet overall rewarding week. It's incredible how close I've gotten with these people in such a short period of time, and I know many of them will be friends for life. Well that's about all I've got, I need to go to sleep for Church tomorrow morning. Pray they have an English translation.
In His Grip,
Ethan
No comments:
Post a Comment